Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Persuasion

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make it drink... That was my original perspective, and I still hold it in particular esteem, however, the following quote better summarizes my optimism inherent in what persuasion can do:


"If the truth can be told so as to be understood it will be believed."

- Terrence McKenna


In trying to find people with whom I can communicate, that is, share ideas in common, I tend to be quite blunt and forthwith as to my current perspective. Many times this turns people off as they don't want to hear what I have to say and especially how I say it. Behind it all, I think, I am always considering every conversation as a learning experience where the person I'm speaking with might teach me a valuable new perspective or approach to unique experiences. And, who knows, maybe I'll have a worthwhile contribution to the dialogue as well. The first real philosophy class that I attended in the second semester of my first year of university dealt with this exact issue: honest effort to engage in every conversation with the fundamentals of persuasion always in play.

It was in reading Albert Camus' The Rebel: An Essay on Man in Revolt, and the ensuing discussions, papers, exams, etc., that made up the one course in my university experience that could be said to be anything close to transformative.


tbc...

No comments:

Post a Comment